Community

Monrovia Old Town Report ( 1/12/16 Issue)
Community

Monrovia Old Town Report ( 1/12/16 Issue)

By Pam Fitzpatrick  It’s the second week of January, and the new year — at least in Old Town — has begun in earnest.  One of our first activities will be the Disney filming of “Magic Camp” next week.  Set up and staging will begin this Saturday and Sunday, the 14th and 15th.  Part…

Old Town Report (01/05/17 Issue)
Community

Old Town Report (01/05/17 Issue)

By Pam Fitzpatrick Sometimes the big news is what didn’t happen, more than what did… So, let’s start with a few things that didn’t happen in Old Town… It didn’t rain after 8 p.m. on New Year’s Eve. I’m sure you all heard my sighs of relief echoing off the mountains. The threat of…

Meet Monrovia’s Classical Music Man on a Mission
Community, Featured

Meet Monrovia’s Classical Music Man on a Mission

By Malak Habbak On a cold, blustery December night, traveling on VIA Rail Canada, a sleep-deprived doctor mourning his wife’s tragic death played Bach Partitas on his violin to sing him to sleep, but to little avail. Before the journey, the doctor’s wife was hit by a serious mental illness in 1995, after his…

Royal Court Takes Ride on New Metro Gold Line Extension
Community

Royal Court Takes Ride on New Metro Gold Line Extension

Photos by Terry Miller Despite the rain, the 2017 Tournament of Roses Queen and Royal Court greeted passengers on the Metro Gold Line Extension to promote Metro Rail and Metro Bus Line 501. The Metro will make stops at the Rose Parade, Rose Bowl Game and post-parade float viewing in Victory Park. The Metro Gold…

It Was the Worst of Times – It Was the Best of Times
Community

It Was the Worst of Times – It Was the Best of Times

By Susan Motander With apologizes to Charles Dickens, his phrasing has been reversed intentionally as this is not a tale of two cities, but rather the story of one town. The order is intentional as the city of Monrovia has a habit of taking bad situations and finding a way to turn it around….

Old Town Report (12/29/16 Issue)
Community

Old Town Report (12/29/16 Issue)

By Pam Fitzpatrick That was so much fun – the holiday celebration, I mean! In fact, I had so much fun, I wish it wasn’t over. But wait: it’s NOT over! Here comes New Year’s Eve on Myrtle, version 6.0, and here’s what’s in store for Old Town next Saturday… First, all of the…

Monrovia Old Town Report (12/22/16 Issue)
Columns, Community

Monrovia Old Town Report (12/22/16 Issue)

By Pam Fitzpatrick Well, here we are – it’s almost Christmas, and look what we’ve done: nine Santa Breakfasts with hundreds of free toys given away; a very successful free Gift Wrap Station thanks to our young volunteers from Community Services; dozens of Carriage Rides; free Kid’s Craft tables; free Photos with Santa, and happy…

Fiesta Floats in Irwindale Getting Ready for the Big Day
Community

Fiesta Floats in Irwindale Getting Ready for the Big Day

Each year, thousands of Monrovians get a behind the scenes look at the Rose Parade’s foremost float builder just a few miles to the east neighboring Irwindale. Tuesday, Monrovia Weekly got a firsthand look at the preparations for the big day. Led by a talented team of Rose Parade veterans that includes President, Tim Estes,…

1 27 28 29 30 31 36