Community

Community

Kiwanis Club Event Honors Recent Duarte High School Graduate and American Veteran

Lauryn Higginson is a remarkable young woman. She is a recent Duarte High School (DHS) graduate, a former Key Club Member and a silver medal winner in Microbiology at the recent National ACT-SO event. Lauryn is heading to San Diego State University and stopped by to pick up her scholarship. Honor Flight Southland is a…

Monrovia Post Office Celebrates Date Meets Zipcode
Community

Monrovia Post Office Celebrates Date Meets Zipcode

On Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, the community of Monrovia will experience an event that occurs only once a century.  It is called Date Meets ZIP.  The date of 9-10-17 will match the community’s Zip code of 91017.  This rare occurrence will be recognized by a special postmark. Special stamp cancellation will be available for 30 days beginning Monday, Sept….

Old Town Report (9/7/17 Issue)
Columns, Community

Old Town Report (9/7/17 Issue)

By Pam Fitzpatrick Pardon me if I gloat just a bit, but I was just thoroughly reading last week’s Reader’s Choice issue of this newspaper, and I actually counted 35-plus Gold and Silver winners in Old Town. I say 35-plus, because several businesses received multiple awards, including Rudy’s Mexican Food, The Diplomat, 1776, 38 Degrees,…

The Metro Gold Line: A Unique Source of Entertainment
Community

The Metro Gold Line: A Unique Source of Entertainment

Just by catching the metro in Arcadia, Monrovia or Pasadena one can quickly be whisked away on an adventure By Madeline Park Regarded as the third best metro system in the nation in a study conducted by the University of Minnesota, the Los Angeles Metro provides a source of transportation for thousands of people each…

Monrovia Police Department Recognizes Their Own
Community

Monrovia Police Department Recognizes Their Own

The Monrovia Police Department honors the accomplishments of fourteen of their employees on Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017, at 5:00 p.m. in the City of Monrovia Council Chambers. Two recipients will be awarded the Life Saving Medal, four recipients will be awarded the Medal of Merit and 8 recipients will be awarded the Distinguished Service Medal…

New Timed Parking Limits on East Lime Avenue Now in Effect
Community

New Timed Parking Limits on East Lime Avenue Now in Effect

As a part of the Old Town Parking assessment that looked at current parking issues in the downtown area, it was recommended that parking time limits on portions of East Lime Avenue be modified from 90 Minutes to 3 Hours. More specifically, the perpendicular parking on East Lime Avenue located east of Myrtle Avenue (on…

Help Conserve Water During The Hot Summer Months
Community

Help Conserve Water During The Hot Summer Months

After nearly a decade of drought, our region is facing severe water shortages.  To help address the challenges impacting our region’s water supply, please continue conserving water whenever possible. The best thing that we can do as a community is to continue to conserve and bring back those water-saving habits that Monrovians were so good…

Richard Nixon vs. Jerry Voorhis, 1946 in Monrovia
Community

Richard Nixon vs. Jerry Voorhis, 1946 in Monrovia

On 6 Nov 1946, Monrovia News-Post headlines read “Nixon Sweeps 12th District Vote.” This local Congressional election between two political opposites became a watershed moment in our nation’s history. The fourth of the five contentious debates between the young Whittier attorney, Richard Nixon, and 5-term Congressional representative, Jerry Voorhis, was held at Monrovia-Arcadia-Duarte (MAD) High…

1 27 28 29 30 31 49