84.2 F
Monrovia
Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Home Community Page 54

Community

Royal Court Takes Ride on New Metro Gold Line Extension

Photos by Terry Miller Despite the rain, the 2017 Tournament of Roses Queen and Royal Court greeted passengers on the Metro Gold Line Extension to promote Metro Rail and Metro Bus Line 501. The Metro will make stops at the Rose Parade, Rose Bowl Game...

It Was the Worst of Times – It Was the Best of Times

By Susan Motander With apologizes to Charles Dickens, his phrasing has been reversed intentionally as this is not a tale of two cities, but rather the story of one town. The order is intentional as the city of Monrovia has a habit of taking bad...

Old Town Report (12/29/16 Issue)

By Pam Fitzpatrick That was so much fun – the holiday celebration, I mean! In fact, I had so much fun, I wish it wasn’t over. But wait: it’s NOT over! Here comes New Year’s Eve on Myrtle, version 6.0, and here’s what’s in store...

Monrovia Old Town Report (12/22/16 Issue)

By Pam Fitzpatrick Well, here we are - it’s almost Christmas, and look what we’ve done: nine Santa Breakfasts with hundreds of free toys given away; a very successful free Gift Wrap Station thanks to our young volunteers from Community Services; dozens of Carriage Rides;...

Fiesta Floats in Irwindale Getting Ready for the Big Day

Each year, thousands of Monrovians get a behind the scenes look at the Rose Parade’s foremost float builder just a few miles to the east neighboring Irwindale. Tuesday, Monrovia Weekly got a firsthand look at the preparations for the big day. Led by a talented team...

Beacon Celebrates 20th Anniversary With Special Edition Dec. 29

It Was 20 Years Ago Today… A message from Beacon Media editor Terry Miller As the classic Beatles’ song goes… “It was 20 years ago today that Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play…” Well, in Beacon Media’s case Sgt. Pepper is, in fact, our visionary leader...

Monrovia Public Library Has Special Events for the Holidays

There are several special events scheduled at the Monrovia Public Library in the upcoming days to celebrate the holidays. They include: A Candy Cane Hunt. This continuing event started on Dec. 1 and will continue through the 29th during regular library hours. Children can look for pictures...

Experience First Holiday TrainFest and Toy Drive at Union Station

Santa will trade in his sleigh for vintage rail cars and a 874,346 pound steam locomotive decked out for the holidays at the first-ever Holiday TrainFest and Toy Drive at Los Angeles Union Station on Saturday Dec. 17, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. The...

Old Town Report (12/15/16 Issue)

By Pam Fitzpatrick Last week I was commenting that nothing much was happening with Old Town businesses as far as opening (or closing), and that very day I saw a coupon for a major name/business change in the 500 block. Obviously I missed this one: ...

Fire Department Set to Develop Updated Fire Safety Tips

During the past few weeks, there have been three separate residential structure fires in Monrovia. Given the uptick in fire activity, the Fire Department has worked to develop an overall community outreach program to encourage greater fire prevention safety and awareness. Key components related to...
GET THE AMPS UPDATE

Get the new localized e-newsletter from Arcadia Weekly with news from Arcadia, Monrovia and Pasadena.

We respect your privacy.