This year the City of Monrovia will celebrate Monrovia Days virtually with the theme of “Celebrating Monrovia’s Birthday at Home With You.” Monrovia Days is one of the town’s favorite ways to gather and celebrate Monrovia, along with recognizing the scholars and champions who have worked so hard all year. Given the growing concerns around COVID-19, the decision was made to change how the Monrovia Days celebration will look this year.
In place of the usual parade, carnival and entertainment, a unique experience has been planned for the community to virtually join with friends and neighbors to wish Monrovia a happy birthday right from the comfort and safety of their home. To celebrate Monrovia’s 134th birthday, a commemorative video will be created featuring birthday wishes from the community that will be aired during a special Facebook Watch Party on May 16.
How to Participate
Monrovians are encouraged to participate by sending in one, or all, of the following:
- A short video or photo with birthday wishes for Monrovia.
- A short video or photo of family parades in backyards or living rooms.
- A short video or photo of family members participating in a pie eating contest at home.
The video submission deadline is May 1, at 11:59 p.m. To submit a video, visit Monrovia Days online.
- For best results, use the landscape/horizontal position for recorded video submissions.
- Video length: limit your video length to no more than 20 seconds.
- Lighting: Use a well-lit area.
- Keep it family-friendly. Remember – this is for the community.
submitting your video / photo read the disclaimer online and rename the file to
the following format:
- Learn how to rename files on your smartphone on the Monrovia Days website.
- For birthday wishes (EXAMPLE: WISHES-JONES-1482.jpg)
- For parade photos and videos (EXAMPLE: PARADE-DIAZ-970.jpg)
- For pie eating photos and videos (EXAMPLE: PIE-LEE-634.jpg)