According to a statement released by the Superior Court of Los Angeles (Court), the Court is establishing protocols and guidelines to respond and adapt court operations to Coronavirus/COVID-19-related events. The Court is working to identify ways to reduce the need for in-person appearances while performing legally mandated functions and respecting litigants’ due process rights, including expanding video and telephonic appearances. The Court will post the latest updates on Coronavirus/COVID-19-related impacts to Court operations on Twitter (@LASuperiorCourt) and the Public Notice webpage.
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, difficulty breathing,) or believe you have been exposed to the virus, do not go to the courthouse, per the Court’s statement.
If you are required to report or appear in court, review these directions:
If you have been summoned for jury duty and do not feel well or believe you have been exposed to COVID-19 and:
- you have not been assigned to a courtroom, you may postpone your jury service:
- Through the Court’s My Jury Duty Portal.
- By calling (213) 972-0970.
- By calling the Juror Assembly Room at the telephone number and hours listed on your summons.
- you have been assigned to a courtroom:
- Contact the courtroom where you are serving as a juror. Courtroom contact information can be found by visiting the Courthouse Directory and scrolling down to your assigned courthouse.
If you are a party to a case (plaintiff/petitioner, defendant/respondent), an attorney, or a witness and do not feel well or believe you have been exposed to COVID-19, and are scheduled for a court hearing, contact the courtroom where your matter is being heard. Courtroom contact information can be found by visiting the Courthouse Directory and scrolling down to your assigned courthouse.
LITIGANTS SEEKING SELF-HELP SERVICES
If you are a litigant who requires self-help services and do not feel well or believe you have been exposed to COVID-19 you may call (213) 830-0845 to seek assistance. Resources for providing self-help information over the telephone are limited and are intended only for those who are sick or believe they have been exposed to Coronavirus/COVID-19.
ALL OTHER COURT USERS
All other court users who do not feel well or believe they have been exposed to COVID- 19 should not visit the courthouse. Many transactions can be completed online via the Court’s website.
The Court has taken the following steps to protect the health of court users, judicial officers and staff:
- Expanded custodial cleaning of high-traffic areas.
- Installed freestanding automatic sanitizer dispensers and distributing hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes to each courthouse.
- Advised vendors, contractors, independent courtroom support personnel and volunteers about the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines and asked that they stay away from the Court if they are sick.
- Canceled use of courthouse by third parties for mock trials, tours and delegation programs.
- Canceled judicial and community outreach events.
Information about the virus and steps you can take to avoid infection can be found on the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s website.